History of Liguorian Magazine
Liguorian was inaugurated in March 1913 by five Redemptorist priests, professors in the Redemptorist seminary in Oconomowoc, Wisconsin. The name Liguorian honors the founder of the Redemptorists, Saint Alphonsus Maria de Liguori, who was a prolific and talented spiritual writer.
Liguorian’s first issue had a print run of five hundred copies. For a time, circulation was comprised mostly of relatives and friends of the Redemptorists, and in addition to religious instruction and inspiration, the magazine provided information primarily of interest to Redemptorists and their families: personnel transfers, notices of missions being preached, and the names of the newly ordained.
In the 1930s, however, the family news items were removed, and Liguorian looked toward a national audience. In 1947 the Redemptorists purchased a 120-acre farm twenty-five miles south of downtown St. Louis, Missouri. Production of Liguorian moved to this new location, and a publishing house was built to accommodate other publishing ventures as well. Today Liguorian remains the flagship of Liguori Publications.
Liguorian is a general interest Catholic magazine written and edited for Catholics of all ages. Its purpose is to help readers better understand the gospel and Church teaching and to show how these teachings apply to life and the problems confronting them as members of families, the Church, and society.